Friday, June 4, 2010

June 4





A few parting shots from my ride in Michigan and pondering the trek across Wisconsin.

Quote of the day  as I was riding the Pere Marquette railtrail. The widest staightest trail I have ever ridden. 33 miles long from Midland to Clare Michigan.  I must of dozed off a few times as I was riding it because it ended so soon. This author summed up life in 6 words.

       Logistics day today having arrived in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. I needed to come up with some routes for cycling across Wisconsin being I've done little planning for this part of the ride. Anyway I got a Wisconsin State map at the visitors center to help with the process and went on line with Google maps and mapped a ride which covered 378 miles from here, Manitowoc, to Waconia Mn. With only 236 waypoints and no printer I got totally frustrated .......hmmmmmm..... there has to be a better way than this. I'm not writing 236 waypoints  down. So I called a local bike shop hoping for a better solution and they had a couple of maps which I didn't think was going to cover the distance after talking to the salesman. Anyway I decided to ride down and check it out. Dave the owner met me at the shop and pointed some maps out and said it's just one in a set of 5 which covers the whole state..............Yes!!!.........I'm on my way again for a  Mr. McGoo ride across Wisconsin. Good details with these maps to. Covering all the backroads as well as main thoroughfares  so I can pick and choose as I go and do more exploring.Unlike Lake Ontario & Erie. It was just keep the lakes on your left and not much deviation, by choice to. Quite a luxury to have this detail  making life easier.......little things!