Sunday, May 9, 2010

May8-Bike Shoe!




M-8.81,T-37.52,AVG-10.55,El-214

The ol'steed is now easily identifiable in the corral and this day we  happened to be at the Belfast Co-op on a cool NW rainy day. I was debating on bringing the horseshoe of which I had 4  of them laying around my shop on the bench when the idea came to mind. They must of been remnants of a slower time on Camano Island. Yes, it would add some flavor to the trip but how will I get it on the airplane if I only have a carry on bag. What the heck! I'll give it a shot and hopefully it will skate by the TSA inspector.
 Off goes the shoes, bag on the conveyor belt as I walk through the metal detector watching the TSA scanner employee start to get a one eye open,cocked head, confused look on his face with a slight pause. Questioning what he was seeing on the monitor. Maybe to embarrassed to say anything, I don't know but I was home free shoe and all.
 I took a day off today following yesterdays  Long Haul on my Surly the Cadillac of bikes and a joy to ride. Pick one up from Mark at Stanwood Velo sports today!!
While staying at the Penobscot Inn a warm  friendly establishment I asked Val the proprietor for some route suggestions heading north being I'm winging it with little planning and he obliged with some great suggestions and even bettered that and through in a map and a book he had stashed away in his file cabinet . Yippee for me.... exploremaine.org the map and  Explore Maine by Bike a book with 28 routes which I'll incorporate 3 of them on my trek through Maine to Quebec.
I had the same helpful experience with Noreen the Acadia Park Ranger to offering me up a scenic and quieter route off Desert Island  and some touring tips to being a XC vet  herself,2X at that.