Monday, May 17, 2010

May16 Louisville-Montreal

M93.14,T-8:42:44,AVG10.68,El-11.65
My earliest start today,7 am. I'm hoping my theory holds true after seeing all the cathedrals in the picturesque villages along the St.Lawrence that most French Canadians should be in church this morning and I'll have the roads to myself.............at least till noon. Hockey playoffs to were in town, as I noticed the unusual bustling city center as I arrived on the bike. Hockey definetly trumped church for clearing the streets here in Canada for a nice sunday evening ride.
It was my best day by far on the Chemin du Roy,a nice clear cool country morning with the route leaving 138 for a trafficless day and as you can see in the picture above, a sample of the morning ride.

I met some other cyclistes today to which have been few and far between since the beginning of my trip. By all the touring publications I read, websites, and blogs I thought I would be in rider nervana and we would be running into each other. Not the case.

Terry from my neck of the woods, Comox BC, was only on a eastward bound leg of a round the world solo tour. He had some great insights for me on touring and some routes to think about westward bound, which I'm considering.
 Phillip and Morena who I met at a lunch stop (below) were just getting there feet wet in touring with a trek out from Montreal for a couple of days, and loving it,it appeared, as they reeled me in and flew by, as I had left first, youth!! Mark?(I put the ? being I had 4 names to remember that day, a large task.) who I met while floundering with my map. again pointed me in the right direction to the bridge I needed to cross to get to Montreal and he also through in some historical insites as we road along the canal path for a great day of cycling, again.
Phillip and Morena.


Mark,Montreal.