Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 28 Watford-Poplar M-116.58,T-10:49,AVG-10.77,El-3234


The Missouri River as I was entering Culbertson from 16.
 It was a long day after leaving Watford this morning. It went rather well at first taking 200 to Fairview. Then 200 turns into 210 west which I thought would be a nice country road and usually 95% of the time it is.But 210 happened to be a shortcut for trucks heading south being 16 was under construction and they didn't want to put up with delays during there work day.I figured this out later once I got off 210 and headed noth on 16.
 I guessed something was up as I turned on 210 with the trucks following me west.But I figured if  all the traffic is going the  same direction it shouldn't be to much trouble with plenty of room to pass. Wrong. It made for a challenging 13 miles and I also picked up a few new tricks along the way when driving in  truck traffic.
 One trick was just get off the road  when all 3 of us passed at the same time.  Keeps the truckers happy and me alive.
The other is if you have  trucks coming at you from both ways and there both still  a ways out  with a no shoulder road and there the same size there probably going to intersect pretty close to where you  are at. So now if this happens I'll hit my breaks  and slow down and let the vehicle behind me catch up and get larger and usually it will pass me before the oncoming truck does. No problem or you can still just get off the road. It's probably not the proper method of handling this situation. Usually you can let traffic adjust to you. But I didn't want to hang around for the results.
Anyway it turned into a great day and ride on 16 north being no one was on 16 and the construction delay was minimal.